The cultural, social and historical aspects of a city are best discovered through the buildings erected over time. In Târgu Mureș, the Apollo Palace is part of a plan well orchestrated by the founder Sámuel Teleki, since 1821. As part of its intention to enrich the city's level of education, the construction of the Teleki library requires financial support which, in turn, this edifice could offer it. Through the countless balls, hosted performances and plays performed by great artists of the time, the Apollo Palace has earned its status, being a piece of resistance of the town and a point of interest for visitors who pass through Târgu Mureș every day.
History and presentation
Apollo Palace is one of the most impressive buildings in Târgu Mureș. It was built between 1821 and 1822, respecting the aspects of the eclectic style. The architect of the building is Count Sámuel Teleki, the one who built it in the place where it is today, respectively the Rose Square.
The intention to build the Apollo Palace was part of a larger plan, conceived and planned by Sámuel Teleki. Thus, initially, he wanted to build the Teleki Library, whose maintenance and operating costs had to be covered even after the death of the founder. Thus, Sámuel Teleki integrated in his will all the properties he had, specifying that they will continue to function in order to ensure the proper functioning and development of the library fund.
Apollo Palace is a multifunctional building spread over two floors. The construction process of the masonry took place between 1804 and 1807, and the interior design will be completed in 1808.
The year of the completion of the construction of the Apollo Palace coincided with the year of the death of its founder, Sámuel Teleki, in 1822. From the very beginning, the Apollo Palace hosted balls, plays and outings made by young women in society. Over time, many famous artists have performed here, such as Lujza Blaha, Róza Déryné Széppataki, István Szentgyörgyi and many others. Between 1848 and 1849, this was the meeting point used by the revolutionary youth.
Starting with 1923, the second floor of the building was transformed into a residential floor by the new owner. Thus, the facade of the Apollo Palace was beautified, thus modifying the poor appearance that the building had in the years before the acquisition. The disadvantage of this transformation is that the impressive hall, once found on the second floor, was thus destroyed. Here, for 100 years, important people of the city met, being one of the most fashionable locations in Târgu Mureș.
The meeting in Târgu Mureș was hosted at the Apollo Palace, in 1937. The event brought together 187 participants, representatives of Hungarian intellectuals settled in Romania. The meeting was held with the aim of building a united platform, which will create links between several Hungarian minority groups. This was aimed at solving the problems that Hungarian citizens had, given the political situation in a process of aggravation in the late 1930s.
At present, the Apollo Palace hosts the headquarters of the School of Arts in Târgu Mureș.
Apollo Palace is located on 5 Piața Trandafirilor Street, in Târgu Mureș.